Faculty of Science:
- Yuri Bolshan, Assistant Professor, Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Our research is focused on the development of novel reactions, medicinal chemistry, and synthesis of biologically active natural products.
- Dario Bonetta, Associate Professor, Biology: Biologically based materials derived from plant and bacterial sources. Development of novel materials by genetic engineering of synthetic enzyme complexes.
- Anatoli Chkrebtii, Professor, Physics: Quantum physics of the solid state and its surfaces. Theory of dynamical, electronic and optical properties of solids and their application to semiconductor growth and microelectronic devices. Solar cell optimization.
- Jean-Paul Desaulniers, Associate Professor, Chemical Biology: Synthesis of artificial nucleic-acid and peptide-based materials by chemical modification. Structure-function relationships of novel biomaterials.
- Brad Easton, Associate Professor, Chemistry: Novel materials for fuel cells and electrochemical systems. This includes new alloy electrocatalysts and novel electrode structures prepared from organosilane materials.
- Franco Gaspari, Associate Professor, Physics: Materials and devices research and development program in the areas of thin film amorphous silicon and carbon, and emerging nano-crystalline materials for application in the fields of renewable sustainable energy (photo-voltaic) and biomedical devices.
- Fedor Naumkin, Associate Professor, Chemistry: Computational Nanoscience; ab initio-based studies of nanometer-scale polyatomic systems (intermolecular complexes, clusters, interfaces), their structural, electronic and related properties. Applications: new materials, catalysis and other processes, and molecular electronics.
- Brian MacLean, Adjunct Professor, Chemistry Department, St. Francis Xavier University: Synthesis of conjugated organic polymers/metal-polymer hybrid materials, electrocatalysts for CO2 reduction and H2 evolution, electrochemical investigations of charge transport in conducting polymers.
- Isaac Tamblyn, Assistant Professor, Physics: Theory of nanostructured materials and devices for renewable energy applications. Artificial photosynthesis and water splitting.
- Liliana Trevani, Assistant Professor, Chemistry: Physical chemistry of hydrothermal systems, design and development of electrochemical and spectroscopic tools for high temperature aqueous systems, synthesis of new materials using supercritical fluids. Applications: energy production and conversion, geochemistry.
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science:
- Remon Pop-Iliev, Professor, Mechanical Engineering: Design and development of innovative technologies for the manufacture of cellular materials and composites. Hybrid electric vehicles. Composite robotic arms and joints.
- Ghaus Rizvi, Associate Professor: Reinforced wood composites with superior mechanical properties, development of extrusion processing, technology for manufacture of fine-celled plastic/wood. Fibre composite foams.
Faculty of Energy Systems and Nuclear Science:
- Matthew Kaye, Associate Professor: Nuclear materials, high temperature materials chemistry, applied thermodynamics, phase diagram modelling, nuclear safety.
- Brian Ikeda, Associate Professor: Corrosion of materials in molten fluoride salts, electrochemical and physical degradation of fluorine anodes, corrosion of nuclear waste container materials, stress-assisted corrosion cracking of metals, localized corrosion of metals at elevated temperatures, long-term performance assessment of materials, radioactive waste management.